Friday, February 8, 2013

Birthday Blunder

My February 5th blog, Stuff Happens, alluded to my lack of plans for my wife’s birthday (we won’t say the number). That comment might not have accurately described the circumstances; I had plans but they were not clearly formulated in my head or even implemented.


“If it wasn’t for the last minute nothing would get done,” is a phrase I sometimes use to describe one of my sons behavior. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and appropriately it applies to me also. I have been known to procrastinate but more about that later. So my plans while slow in starting came together just-in-time.


Procrastination allows time for the pieces to fall together without rushing, and I hate rushing. Rushing causes errors. Being late would be bad, but getting the wrong gift or not having a birthday cake could be worse.


I finished on time or just-in-time and hope that I got things right. The details of today are not important. Implementation is important. Flowers, a personal gift, lunch together at our favorite Italian restaurant, and dinner with my wife’s sister and nephew. My nephew treated us to dinner. I bought a cake at the last minute.


I got it done. By my standards I think I got it done right, but wife may say that a cake for a kid pointed out the flaws of my implementation. Next year is a mile-stone birthday and I think I ought to start planning now; otherwise I’ll be in big trouble. (If the dog could take out the garbage I might be handed my walking papers). But at least I have year to procrastinate.


Next Blog Post: Downsizing-In-Place

Blog Change - no cartoons from the internet, other changes still being formulated.



 SEO Services & ToolsSubmit Express

2 comments:

  1. You got there on time, and that is the main thing.

    You are so fortunate to have your soul mate to share life with. Make the next birthday really special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got Mom something different as a gift and I think she will like it! See ya soon for lunch.

    ReplyDelete